Friday, June 29, 2007

Spin, work, work, and more work

I am having trouble typing as the shift key on the left is kaput --- and it's the one I use 95% of the time. I hit the return key instead of 'shift' and it sends the blog off to be published; on other sites it closes up windows and leaves me frustrated. Only about $30 for a new keyboard; but I can't believe a drop of water caused me this grief, and I haven't given up on it's fixing itself.

I've begun to wash the three fleeces (shetland and ? mix) given to me; confronting a sheep's fleece is a brand new experience...wow! Lots of bits to toss in the compost, tips to flick or trim, and quite smelly, in a barn sort of way.

I can't tell what the best parts are so I am just saving any of the good looking wool; I've washed three handfuls and it cleans up nice, except for those tips.

This first picture is of the grayer wool:


and this is the white with the dirty tips; I don't have a comb or flicker so before I wash more I may trim the tips.

I'm thinking a boosting the temperature of the hot water heater, or getting a black garbage pail and using the sun. The latter appeals to me as I could do more leisurely washes -- and then if need be a final wash with hotter water-heater water. If these do wash up nicely I may look into a carder; I'm thinking of the Louet roving carder. though it seems some don't like it. I'm spoiled by the length of the roving and top I have purchased, with longer bits to spin. I imagine an experienced spinner doesn't need to stop in order to join a new piece of fiber--- my operation has to come to a halt while I arrange things and match ends and gather my wits.

I worked about three hours tonight in the shop and need to get up by five at least to get more work done; and even so I know I won't be able to finish. But I am just too old to do all-nighters anymore.

No comments: